Welcome to Kentucky, a state known for its rolling hills, horse racing, and bourbon! If you’re planning a trip to this beautiful southern state, you’ll need to know how to get here. In this guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know about flights to Kentucky, including the best airports to fly into, airlines that service the state, and tips for finding cheap flights.
The Best Airports to Fly into Kentucky
Kentucky has several airports that offer commercial flights, but the two largest and most popular airports are Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport (SDF) and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG).
Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport (SDF) is located in Louisville, the largest city in Kentucky. It’s a hub for UPS, and it’s served by several major airlines, including American Airlines, Delta, Southwest, and United. If you’re visiting Louisville or the surrounding areas, this is the best airport to fly into.
Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG) is actually located across the Ohio River in Hebron, Kentucky. It’s about an hour’s drive from downtown Louisville and is also served by major airlines like Delta, Southwest, and United.
Other airports that offer commercial flights in Kentucky include Lexington Blue Grass Airport (LEX) and Owensboro-Daviess County Regional Airport (OWB). However, these airports are smaller and offer fewer flight options.
Airlines That Service Kentucky
As mentioned, several major airlines service Kentucky’s largest airports, including American Airlines, Delta, Southwest, and United. Other airlines that offer flights to Kentucky include Allegiant Air, Frontier Airlines, and Southern Airways Express.
Tips for Finding Cheap Flights to Kentucky
If you’re looking for the best deals on flights to Kentucky, here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Book in Advance: The earlier you book your flights, the better the deal you’re likely to get. Aim to book at least a few weeks in advance, if not more.
- Be Flexible: If you’re flexible with your travel dates, you can often find better deals. Try searching for flights on different days of the week or even different times of the day to see if you can save some money.
- Use Flight Search Engines: Websites like Google Flights, Skyscanner, and Kayak can help you compare prices from different airlines and find the best deals.
- Sign Up for Alerts: Many airlines and travel websites offer email alerts when prices drop on flights to certain destinations. Sign up for these alerts to stay in the loop on the latest deals.
- Consider Connecting Flights: Sometimes, booking a connecting flight can be cheaper than a direct flight. It may take a bit longer to get to your destination, but it could save you a significant amount of money.
Kentucky is a beautiful state that’s definitely worth visiting, and getting here is easier than you might think. Louisville Muhammad Ali International Airport and Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport are the two largest airports that offer commercial flights, and major airlines like American Airlines, Delta, Southwest, and United service these airports. By following the tips above, you can find the best deals on flights to Kentucky and make your trip as affordable as possible. Happy travels!