Laos is a beautiful country located in Southeast Asia, known for its stunning landscapes, rich culture, and welcoming people. If you’re planning a trip to Laos, the first step is to book your flights. In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about flights to Laos, including the best time to visit, the top airlines that fly to Laos, the major airports in Laos, and more.
When To Visit Laos
The best time to visit Laos is between November and February, which is the cool, dry season. During this time, temperatures are mild, and there is very little rain, making it the perfect time to explore Laos’s many temples, natural wonders, and charming towns. If you plan to visit Laos during the wet season, which runs from May to October, be prepared for hot, humid weather and frequent rain showers.
Top Airlines That Fly To Laos
There are several airlines that fly to Laos from major cities around the world. Here are some of the top airlines to consider:
- Thai Airways – Thai Airways is a popular airline that offers flights to Laos from many major cities in Asia, Europe, and the Americas.
- Vietnam Airlines – Vietnam Airlines is the national carrier of Vietnam and offers flights to Laos from several cities in Vietnam, as well as other major cities in Asia and beyond.
- Lao Airlines – Lao Airlines is the national airline of Laos and offers flights to many cities within Laos, as well as several international destinations, including Bangkok, Hanoi, and Ho Chi Minh City.
- AirAsia – AirAsia is a budget airline that offers flights to Laos from several major cities in Asia, as well as Australia, New Zealand, and the Middle East.
- China Eastern Airlines – China Eastern Airlines offers flights to Laos from many major cities in China, as well as other destinations in Asia, Europe, and North America.
Major Airports in Laos
There are several airports in Laos that cater to both domestic and international flights. Here are the major airports in Laos that you need to know about:
- Wattay International Airport (VTE) – Wattay International Airport is the main airport in Vientiane, the capital city of Laos. It is located just 3km from the city center and serves both domestic and international flights.
- Luang Prabang International Airport (LPQ) – Luang Prabang International Airport is located in the northern city of Luang Prabang and serves both domestic and international flights. It is located just 4km from the city center.
- Pakse International Airport (PKZ) – Pakse International Airport is located in the southern city of Pakse and serves both domestic and international flights. It is located just 5km from the city center.
- Savannakhet Airport (ZVK) – Savannakhet Airport is located in the southern city of Savannakhet and serves both domestic and international flights. It is located just 8km from the city center.
Tips for Booking Flights to Laos
- Book early – Flights to Laos can be expensive, especially during peak travel periods. To get the best prices, book your flights early.
- Use price comparison websites – There are several price comparison websites that can help you find the best deals on flights to Laos. Some of the most popular websites include Skyscanner, Kayak, and Expedia.
- Consider budget airlines – If you’re on a tight budget, consider flying with budget airlines like AirAsia or Nok Air. These airlines offer affordable fares, but be sure to check their baggage allowance and other restrictions.
- Check visa requirements – Depending on your nationality, you may need a visa to enter Laos. Be sure to check the visa requirements and apply for your visa well in advance of your travel dates to avoid any delays or issues.
- Consider connecting flights – Direct flights to Laos can be limited and expensive, so consider booking a connecting flight. Bangkok, Thailand, and Hanoi, Vietnam, are popular connecting airports for flights to Laos.
- Check for promotions and discounts – Keep an eye out for promotions and discounts offered by airlines or travel agencies. You can often find great deals on flights to Laos if you’re willing to be flexible with your travel dates.
- Choose your seats in advance – If you have a preference for where you sit on the plane, be sure to choose your seats in advance. Most airlines allow you to choose your seats during the booking process or at check-in.
Booking flights to Laos can be a bit of a challenge, but with a bit of research and planning, you can find affordable flights that fit your schedule. Remember to book early, check visa requirements, and consider connecting flights and budget airlines to save money. Once you’ve booked your flights, you can look forward to exploring the beautiful landscapes, rich culture, and friendly people of Laos. Safe travels!