Are you looking for an exciting and off-the-beaten-path holiday destination? Then you should definitely consider Moldova! This small country nestled between Romania and Ukraine offers a unique blend of history, nature, and culture. In this guide, I’ll share some must-see sights and experiences to help you make the most of your time in Moldova.
- Explore the Capital: Chisinau is the capital city of Moldova and the heart of the country’s political, cultural, and economic life. Start your tour at the central park, where you can enjoy a coffee at one of the outdoor cafes, admire the stunning gardens, and visit the National Museum of History. Another must-visit is the National Palace of Culture, a stunning architectural gem that hosts concerts, exhibitions, and festivals.
- Taste the Local Cuisine: Moldovan cuisine is a delicious blend of Romanian, Ukrainian, and Russian traditions. You have to try the famous “mămăligă”, a type of cornmeal porridge served with cheese, sour cream, or meat. Another staple is “plăcinte”, savory or sweet pies filled with cheese, potatoes, or fruit. Wash it all down with a glass of local wine, Moldova is known for its excellent vineyards!
- Visit the Wineries: Moldova is home to some of the oldest and most famous vineyards in Europe. Take a tour of the Milestii Mici Winery, the world’s largest wine cellars with over 200 km of underground galleries. Sample the delicious local wines and learn about the history and traditions of winemaking in Moldova.
- Discover the Natural Beauty: Moldova is a nature lover’s paradise, with rolling hills, forests, lakes, and rivers. Take a hike in the Codru Nature Reserve, where you can admire the scenic beauty and spot rare wildlife species. Another must-visit is the Orheiul Vechi Monastery, a UNESCO World Heritage Site located in a scenic valley.
- Immerse Yourself in Culture: Moldova is a country with a rich cultural heritage, where ancient traditions and modern influences coexist. Visit the Merry Cemetery in the city of Săpânța, where the gravestones are colorful and adorned with witty inscriptions. Another cultural highlight is the “Dance of the Eagles”, a traditional Moldovan dance performed during festivals and celebrations.
These are just a few of the many things you can experience on your holiday in Moldova. Whether you’re interested in history, nature, culture, or just want to relax and enjoy the scenery, Moldova has something for everyone. So why wait? Pack your bags and head to this hidden gem of Eastern Europe for an unforgettable holiday!