Flights to Malta: Your Ultimate Travel Guide
Welcome to this comprehensive and friendly travel guide to help you plan your dream vacation to the beautiful Mediterranean island of Malta. Here, you’ll find everything you need to know about flights to Malta, including helpful tips and recommendations, so you can sit back, relax, and look forward to your adventure in this historic and picturesque destination.
Choosing the Right Airport
Malta has only one international airport, Malta International Airport (MLA), which is conveniently located in the town of Luqa, just 5 kilometers southwest of the capital city, Valletta. This airport serves as the main gateway to the Maltese Islands and handles flights from various parts of Europe, the Middle East, and North Africa.
Major Airlines and Routes
Malta International Airport is well-connected to numerous cities across Europe and beyond. A variety of major airlines operate flights to and from Malta, including:
- Air Malta, the national carrier of Malta
- Wizz Air
- British Airways
- Turkish Airlines
Most of these airlines offer direct flights to Malta from key European cities, such as London, Paris, Rome, Frankfurt, and Istanbul. If you’re traveling from the United States, Canada, or Asia, you’ll most likely have a layover in a European hub before connecting to a direct flight to Malta.
Best Time to Book Your Flight
Malta enjoys a warm Mediterranean climate, with mild winters and hot, sunny summers. The peak tourist season falls between June and September, which is when the island is bustling with activities and events. To secure the best deals on flights, consider booking your tickets during the shoulder months of April, May, and October, when the weather is still pleasant, and prices are generally lower.
How to Find the Best Deals
Finding the best deals on flights to Malta can be a breeze if you follow these tips:
- Book in advance: Start searching for flights at least 2-3 months before your planned departure date to have a better chance of finding lower fares.
- Be flexible: Keep an open mind regarding travel dates and times, as fares can vary significantly depending on the day and time of departure.
- Use fare comparison websites: Websites like Skyscanner, Google Flights, and Kayak allow you to compare flight prices across different airlines, making it easier to find the best deals.
- Set up price alerts: Most flight comparison websites offer the option to set up email alerts that notify you when prices drop for your chosen route.
Arriving at Malta International Airport
Once you’ve landed at Malta International Airport, you’ll find a range of amenities and services to make your arrival as smooth as possible. These include:
- Free Wi-Fi throughout the airport
- ATMs and currency exchange services
- Car rental agencies
- Taxi and shuttle services
- Information desks and tourist services
Transportation from the Airport
Getting to your final destination from Malta International Airport is hassle-free, thanks to the various transportation options available:
- Public Bus: Malta Public Transport operates several bus routes that connect the airport to various parts of the island, including Valletta, Sliema, and St. Julian’s. Buses are an affordable and convenient way to reach your destination, with ticket prices starting at €1.50 for a single journey during the winter season and €2.00 during the summer season.
- Taxi: Taxis are available 24/7 at the airport’s designated taxi stand. Fares are fixed and vary depending on your destination. You can purchase a pre-paid taxi ticket from the airport’s ticket booth before boarding the taxi.
- Shuttle Services: Several companies offer shared or private shuttle services from the airport to popular destinations across the island. These services can be pre-booked online and offer a comfortable and convenient way to reach your accommodation.
- Car Rental: If you prefer to have the freedom to explore Malta at your own pace, you can rent a car from one of the many car rental agencies available at the airport. Be sure to book your car rental in advance, especially during the peak tourist season, to ensure availability and the best rates.
Traveling with Kids and Special Needs
Malta International Airport is well-equipped to cater to travelers with kids and those with special needs. Facilities and services available at the airport include:
- Baby changing rooms
- Wheelchair assistance
- Designated parking spaces for passengers with reduced mobility
- Accessible restrooms
- Special assistance service points
If you or a family member requires special assistance, it’s advisable to inform your airline well in advance to ensure a smooth and comfortable journey.
Malta Travel Tips
To make your trip to Malta even more enjoyable, keep these helpful tips in mind:
- Malta is part of the European Union, and the official currency is the Euro (€).
- English is widely spoken across the island, making communication easy for English-speaking travelers.
- Malta uses the Type G plug (the same as the United Kingdom), so you may need a power adapter if you’re traveling from a country with a different plug type.
- Maltese people drive on the left side of the road, similar to the United Kingdom and Australia. Keep this in mind if you plan to rent a car.
- Don’t forget to pack sunscreen, sunglasses, and a hat, as the Maltese sun can be quite strong, especially during the summer months.
With this comprehensive guide to flights to Malta, you’re now well-prepared to embark on your unforgettable Mediterranean adventure. Happy travels!